Tom Mattox, commissioner of the state’s Department of Taxation and Finance, came to Cortlandt Town Hall Thursday night to discuss New York’s tax policy and encourage citizens to pay their taxes.
He came to an event sponsored by state Assemblywoman Sandy Galef, D-Ossining, who chairs the Assembly’s Real Property Taxation Committee. Galef says she was interested to learn that 96 percent of New Yorkers pay their taxes on time. The remaining 4 percent are a problem that takes the efforts of half o the employees in Mattox’s department of 5,300 employees.
Galef says she has heard many complaints from residents about the difficult time they have getting through to the state tax office with questions about filing their state tax returns in April. She said Mattox indicated the state was considering having employees taking calls during evenings and on Saturdays during tax season.
“They are working on a better response system,” says Galef.